[Ujug-meetings] Tomorrow: Agile / Spring Boot

Mike Bylund cmikeb1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 11:19:18 EDT 2015

*UJUG is Tomorrow (3/19)*.  Please RSVP on ujug.org
<http://ujug.org/index.php?option=com_eventbooking&task=view_event&event_id=57&Itemid=59>
or meetup <http://www.meetup.com/Utah-Java-Users-Group/events/219790319/>
so we have enough great food.

Schedule
5:30 - 6:00    Pizza & Sandwiches
6:00 - 7:00    Spring Boot, REST and Micro Services by Prashanth Batchu
7:00 - 8:00    XP, Scrum and Lean, OH MY!  by  Jonathan House

Spring Boot, REST and Micro Services    Prashanth Batchu
This presentation is about how REST architectural style, Micro Services and
Spring Boot can help achieve better architectural design for improving
scalability, visibility and performance of Web applications..

The talk begins with an introduction to Spring Boot, its philosophy and
features.. A live coding session will follow demonstrating the ease of
getting productive on a new project very quickly with Spring Boot, Maven
and GIT.. A brief discussion follows on how Agile philosophy is embraced by
Spring Boot following the principles of “Convention over Configuration”.

Implementation of features like Scheduling, Security, JPA, Application
Profiles, Static content reloading, JMX, Messaging, Testing and others will
be briefly introduced.

The talk then proceeds with an introduction to the REST architectural
style, its drivers and constraints, a brief discussion on Richardson’s
Maturity Model for REST and HATEOAS.. Micro Services Architecture is
introduced with an example of how a monolithic application architecturecan
be enhanced to improve scalability, visibility and performance using REST
ideals, Micro Services Architecture and Spring Boot.. Q&A session will
follow as time permits.

*Prashanth Batchu* currently works as a Senior Software Developer for
Intermountain Healthcare. He has received his Masters in Information
Systems from University of Denver and has been actively involved in all the
phases of SDLC Enterprise Application Development (E.A.D) with Java/EE for
the past seven years. He has lead many E.A.D projects to successful
completion while advocating of Agile Methodologies and Test Driven Software
Development. He has given many internal presentations on Best practices,
Java EE technologies, Spring, JavaScript Frameworks such as AngularJS and
other topics that are dear to Enterprise developers. He runs an open source
project titled BillRive to promote community learning and is interested in
starting a similar project aimed towards teaching Programming to Kids/Teens.

XP, Scrum and Lean, OH MY!    Jonathan House
Ever wonder which flavor of Agile is the best? The worst?

Me too. But that's not what we're talking about today.

Scratch any Agile methodology deep enough and you'll see the common
principles that all modern Agile methodologies share. It was these common
principles that allowed what was probably one of the feistiest herd of cats
ever known to mankind to come together and present the world with the Agile
Manifesto.

So if these principles are so great, why are we still mucking around in
endless stand-up meetings? How many more rounds of Planning Poker will we
have to endure? Most importantly, when will I get my rocket jet pack?

Rocket jet packs aside, we'll bring our voyage of Agile enlightenment full
circle by observing the practices implemented in the name of these lofty
principles to see how well we have wrought.

And we'll definitely have some fun along the way.

At the tender age of 14 *Jonathan House* engaged in his very first
“software for hire” contract, for his father who needed a TRS-80 Basic
program converted into an Apple II floating point Basic program. This was
immediately followed by his first experience dealing with an impossible
customer, and being grounded for a month. Over a career of darn near three
decades Jonathan has been at various times a software tester, business
analyst, clueless user, project manager, product manager, architect,
programmer, former UJUG co-organizer (when dinosaurs roamed the earth) and
pointy haired boss. He even claims to know something about a/Agile, and
takes every opportunity to boast about being the first (and only, to date)
graduate from Alistair Cockburn's "Agile Master Class". Watching the same
mistakes made over and over again in the industry drove him to look for
better ways to make software that works, with the result that he now can be
found lurking around both the Agile and software architecture communities,
generally finding ways to make a nuisance of himself. In addition to his
day job as Agile Evangelist for Myriad Genetics he infrequently blogs about
his experiences at the pointy end of the Agile movement under the moniker
“Agile Sadist” on blogspot.

Market Conditions Survey
UJUG and the Utah QA User Group have partnered to create the following
survey

The goal is to keep our members informed on market conditions regarding
skill sets, compensation, and job satisfaction

*All responses are anonymous*

The survey takes 5 minutes to complete, results will be published to all
members

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TechSalarySurveyUtah